Smoked Fish Pie
Great comfort food or alternatively, serve up with a salad on
the deck in summer. It's a yummy mix of smoked seafood -
white fish, salmon and mussels.
- Cut onion into chunks and stud cloves into a couple of
- Add milk, onions and bay leaves to a pan and bring to
- Add skin on fish and simmer for 15 minutes, then
- When fish is cool, flake and put in a large flat oven
- De-beard the mussels and add to the rest of the fish.
- Peel and chop the potatoes and cook until tender.
- Mash well with milk, butter and salt and pepper to get
a smooth spreadable texture.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook over
low heat for 5 minutes until just before the flour turns
- Add milk from fish, whisk until smooth and heat for 5
minutes on low.
- Add wine, grated nutmeg and season to taste.
- Stir through the chopped parsley and pour mixture
over the fish.
- Heat the oven to 200°C and then top the fish and
sauce with the mashed potatoes. Cook until golden
brown - about 10 minutes.
- 500-600g mixed smoked fish (Salmon and White Warehou is perfect)
- 15-20 small smoked mussels
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves
- 500ml milk
- 150ml white wine
- 50g butter
- 4tbsp flour
- 5tbsp flat leaf parsley
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- 1kg Agria potatoes
- Extra butter and milk to mash the potatoes
Smoked Grilled Mackerel with Tuscan Salad
This healthy dish, packed with colour, taste and versatility is a
real winner. It's great on the BBQ too.
- Drizzle the bread with olive oil and grill on the BBQ until
golden. Place in large salad bowl.
- Add Mackerel to the BBQ, skin side down and cook until
the skin is crispy and charred.
- Place lime halves on the BBQ and cook until
- Place the peppers on the BBQ, drizzle with oil and grill
until charred. Chop into chunks and place into bowl with
- Add the cherry tomatoes, avocado and Mesculin salad
to the bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine finely chopped red
onion, olive oil and squeezed lime juice. Add to salad
and toss through.
- Serve salad onto plates. Break up grilled Mackerel and
add to top of salad.
- 1-2tbsp olive oil
- 4 Mackerel fillets, pin-boned, skin slashed
- 4-6 slices of sourdough bread
For the Tuscan Salad
- 2 red and 2 yellow peppers, halved
- 1 lime, halved
- 1 packet of Mesculin salad
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, diced
Smoked Seafood Chowder
An all seasons favourite full of flavour. Lunch or dinner, crusty
bread and a drink with friends.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a low to medium heat. Add the onion, leeks and bacon and cook for about 5 minutes until tender.
- Peel and dice potatoes, add to pan with the stock and some seasoning. Cover and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the milk and bay leaf to a large pan and bring to the boil, then add smoked fish. Cover and simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
- Remove fish from the pan and flake into chunks, removing any skin.
- Strain the fish milk into the soup and add the fish and sweetcorn. Simmer for a further minute, scatter with the parsley and serve in warm bowls with crusty bread.
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 4 smoked streaky bacon rashers, diced
- 450g potatoes (floury)
- 450ml fish stock
- 450g smoked fish (any variety or a mixture is fine)
- 450ml milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 195g sweet corn, drained
- 2tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Ground black pepper